Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Islam and Christianity: being caught in-between!

Lately I have been noticing a lot of.. well for lack of words :"Half muslim -half christians" - people who identify with both religions. I, too have been in that boat and know how it feels!

A well known case is Ann Holmes Redding - a muslim episcopalian minister! (Google her!)


So I thought I'd share my story of being a "half-and-half" too!

Two years ago I was almost a Muslim - insofar that I praying raka'ah and believed Mohammed to be a prophet - but had not yet 'formerly' converted (said shahada or declared myself 'muslim')
But I was pretty darn close!
I always believed the Bible's promise that those who seek the Truth shall find it. Unfortunately the seeking part is a good sight harder than I anticipated!

So why does a practising Christian start to consider Islam?
I had always had respect for Muslims. I saw among many of them the same desire to know and follow God. To me Muslims were as much our brothers and sisters as Jews are often considered to be. They had the same prophets (plus Jesus!) and many similar values and concepts.
I always felt peaceful attending Mosque. I also felt drawn to hijab (I realised later on that you don’t have to be Muslim to cover! :) But at the time I thought it was a ‘muslim thing.’)
My best friend from high school was Muslim and I would go to mosque with her family during Ramadhan, and I would pray beside them. Like Ann Holmes Redding I was first drawn to Islam through prayer.

My mother is an Indonesian teacher and has many muslim friends. As a child she would describe the sound of azzan, the call to prayer and explain how it rang out five times a day, the obligatory prayers for a Muslim.
My work with refugees/asylum seekers/human rights and a general multicultural interest brought me in contact with many arabs and muslims. At uni I met a bunch of Omanis, and soon some of my closest friends were from the Arabian gulf.
Their culture felt like home to me in a way- in many ways because it actually reinforced Christian values which are so lacking in Australian society – family, respect, etc.
My family doesn’t really drink, neither my mum or my dad (who came to Australia when he was 12) fitted typical Australian mould. For me the Australian pub/beer/footy/rock’n’roll culture always felt so foreign.
As a kid growing up in Australia any ‘churchies’ (church goers) are usually teased by other kids – I was moderately popular, but even so my friends found it weird and uncomfortable that I was Christian and part of the school prayer group.
Australian’s do not pay lip service to being Christian. We are a particularly irreverent and anti-authoritarian culture, and organised religion does not sit well with many Australians.
Friends do not understand when you explain you can’t meet for coffee Sunday morning because you have church. “Well just go next week,” or “Just skip it” are the common responses. Hanging out with friends, it would be awkward and weird to excuse yourself to take a moment to pray.
I love the fact that with my muslim friends I could say, “I’m just going to go pray for a moment.”
For them religious observance, or at the very least belief in God was taken for granted. Now this has its own pros and cons, but that’s another topic.
I think I also like saying salaams, subhan Allah, mash’Allah, insha’Allah* etc: recognising God in everyday life.
I think Islam also appealed because Christianity often focuses on the warm and fuzzy: with Jesus’ death breaching the gap caused by sin between God and mankind, we focus on the New Testament God as loving Father: close, accessible and having a personal relationship. However what makes all this possible and so amazing are His other characteristics! Almighty Sovereign, Holiest of Judges, His hatred of sin – read the Old Testament and we soon remember this!
To quote Narnia, in which Aslan the lion symbolises God: “He isn’t a tame lion!”

In uni the discussion of Islam changed a little. Muslim friends peppered me with powerpoint presentations of the scientific miracles of the Quran, Ahmed Deedat videos and debates by Muslim apologists. I read the Quran. I fasted Ramdhan (three years in a row!)
I listened to Muslim songs and felt touched by their fervent reverence and love for God. Sami Yusuf’s song and video “Asma’u Allah” (Names of God) brought me to tears. I sang along and ignored the parts praying for Mohammed. I lived in two worlds: Muslim and Christian.

It was when I moved to Germany for 6 months that things geared up. I reached the point where I was ready to accept the possibility of Islam being true. As far as I was concerned this was crunch time. I told only two close Muslim friends back home, and barraged them with questions. I emailed my mother and told her she should be prepared that I might return a Muslim.
And yet I was torn. I prayed, I begged. I read the Bible and Quran. I prayed raka’ah and the Lord’s prayer.
Really I had already made up my mind that I wanted to be Muslim. But my belief in the Truth wouldn’t allow me to convert without complete certainty and absolute conviction. And try as I might there were still little things niggling away. For months I wandered no-mans-land.

The crucifixion was a huge issue. The Islamic explanations just didn’t gel. The common interpretation is that Judas was crucified in the place of Jesus.
My major problem with this idea: God had modified Judas to look like Jesus, allowed/caused him to be crucified, knowing that thousands of people would believe Jesus had been crucified. Knowing that lies would be spread that Jesus had died and come alive again. Knowing this very point would form the foundation of the biggest religion in decades to come. That today millions, if not billions of people would be flowing a lie because of what had essentially been deception. Because after all if I took someone and gave them plastic surgery to absolutely resemble you, and then in front of many witnesses, including friends and family – executed you, causing your friends and family to believe you are dead: is that not deception? Am I not deceiving those people and causing them to believe a falsehood?
I felt none of the explanations were satisfactory.
I decided that this key point: Jesus’ crucifixion, meant that I was not, and could not be Muslim.

But I wasn’t a satisfied Christian!
I returned to Australia.
Attending church I cringed at the frequent use of Jesus’ name and constant focus on Jesus: where was God I wondered? I hated the word “trinity” and flinched when I heard Jesus described as “the Son of God.”
In hindsight, growing up I had probably never thought about the trinity much or the concept of Jesus divinity and humanity- it is constantly called a “mystery” and far too many Christians find it to hard to think about in depth and so just ignore it. Or use simple analogies of eggs without really understanding what we are saying.

So I started out simple: Is Jesus divine? I knew the scriptures and had seen/read many Muslim analysis of the New Testament stating that Jesus did not actually claim to be divine.
Here are just a few on the verses I found relevant:

John 17:5 “and now, Father, glorify me in your prescence with the glory I had with you before the world began.”
John 14:9 “Anyone who has seen me has seen the father.”

Jesus’ “I AM statements”:
I am the bread of life (Jhn 6.35)
I am the light of the world (Jhn 8.12)
I am the good shepherd/gate for the sheep (Jhn 10.7)
I am the resurrection and the life (Jhn 11.25)
I am the way, the truth and the life (Jhn 14.6)
I am the true vine (Jhn 15.1)

John 8:58 “before Abraham was born, I AM.”
Beyond the fact that Jesus is claiming to have existed before Abraham is the fact the Jews and religious leaders interpreted this as claiming to be God (blasphemy) due to God calling Himself “I AM” in the Old Testament.

Also interesting was the fact Jesus:
• Passed judgement (John 5:22)
• Forgave sins (Mark 2:5-22)
• Allowed people to worship him and call him God

I find John 5:19 especially interesting: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing without by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son does also.
If Jesus does everything God does, and nothing that God does not – then how is Jesus separate/not God?

I came to believe that the Bible shows that Jesus is God, or at least claimed to be God (no this is not the same as “son of God.”)
At the same time Jesus is also shown to be human, and a “Son of Man” as he frequently calls himself. Muslims often highlight that Jesus prayed (e.g Matthew 26:39) and worshipped God. He also stated that “By myself I can do nothing.”

So why did Jesus pray to God? Why did he worship him? And why (as a man) was he powerless?
I think this hinges on the concept that Jesus was both man and God. In essence he had a ‘human nature’ and a ‘divine nature.’ As such his human nature was inferior and subject to God and the divine nature. So as a Son of MAN he paid homage to the Divine.

Philipians 2:1-11 says Jesus “did not grasp equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very (form of) a servant.”
Hebrews 1 also mentions this.
This concept of Jesus having a human and divine nature- sounds like a schizophrenic person, right! Or personality disorder!
The fact is Jesus as God and Man is inconceivable. Jesus and God “the Father” (another term I dislike) as being one God is also very difficult.
I came to realise that for me Jesus’ divinity is only one of the many things about God that is impossible to fully understand. It is the same as eternity. Or the concept of omnipotence, or omniscience. As soon we ponder these concepts our minds boggle- it is the same as the concept of a fourth dimension in space. Or black holes, antimatter, parallel universe or time travel (which is theoretically possible) and other scientific theories, many of which are understood to be true or ‘fact’ but not ‘representable’.
These things are hard to conceptualise simply because it is not possible in our human world. But then God is above and beyond human limitations. In a world where everything , when you go back far enough, has a beginning, and everything is finite, God is without beginning or end!! He is infinite!
As I came to these conclusions over many months I was slowly building up my beliefs – out of ‘proof,’ certainty and severe questioning. Even then I would rigorously test Christian claims, always playing the devils advocate and doubting everything.

By then I was convinced that a) Jesus was crucified and b)Jesus was God.
However to further strengthen both of these ideas I started to really look into the Bible. Islam claims t has been changed/modified/corrupted over time, something I too had accepted at one point.
I won’t go into this in great detail but suffice to say historians support the Bible as a historical source and Jesus’ crucifixion.
The Old Testament is considered highly scared by Jews, and the copying/transmission of the Torah/Tanakh was guarded closely. There are numerous Old Testament prophecies about Jesus, his resurrection and his birth. Many of these were found in the Qurum scrolls. Some scrolls dated 100 years before Jesus was born, which negates any allegation prophecies had been inserted afterward. Secondly why would the Jews (who did not believe Jesus was the Messiah, modify or insert messianic prophecies to support him?
The scrolls also showed how modern versions of the Old Testament were highly accurate.
As for the New Testament: Historical sources (Josephus, Tacitus, ancient letters etc) support the story of Jesus’ crucifixion (or someone who was believed to be him), they state that he claimed to be God and his followers believed him to be such.
The New Testament is the most corroborated of any ancient text in the world. Historian’s measure this by time elapsed between the originals and the earliest known copies and number of copies, and the New Testament beats all other writings (such as Caesars writings, Plato and other ‘accepted’ historical writings) on all counts.
What’s more early Christians (such as Clement of Rome) quoted the gospels in their letters, many of which survive today. These scripture quoted in these letters (written in the same lifetime as Gospels) is the same as we have today.

Lastly, there is logic:
Many, if not most, of the disciples and biblical writers were martyred for their beliefs. If they were lying then why would they dye to support a lie?
If the Bible was corrupted/modified (either New or Old testament) would the Jews and Christians not say something? I’m not saying over the centuries a word hasn’t been changed , but if new doctrines were introduced or facts changed significantly people would notice!
Gospels were written at different times, by different people and yet match each other. The gospels were circulated among early Christians who did not contradict or say they were false.

So what does this leave me: A Christian I guess.
Back to where I started in many ways – but I often feel almost like a Muslim who converted to Christianity! After all there was a time I doubted the crucifixion, doubted the veracity of the Bible, doubted that Jesus was God, believed he was only a prophet and believed Mohammed was a prophet.
Having tried to discredit my own religion time and time again I found that it withstood all testing. That it emerged as Truth. It is on this basis that I believe.

Lastly, where does that leave Islam for me?
I have never set out to ‘disprove’ Islam. In many ways it is not possible. There is nothing to corrobate historically – Mohammed’s biography is known and accepted, and really it not relevant to proving or disproving the Quran. Most people would agree the Quran has not been changed either. The challenges levelled at the Bible so not apply to the Quran.
The only question about Islam is, was the Quran the direct message of God?
Because Christianity stand every test then I came to conclude the Quran cannot be God’s message. They contradict too much, not least over Jesus’ death and resurrection.
Salvation is vastly different in Christianity and Islam.
In Islam salvation is based on your good deeds. To me the judgement always seemed a bit arbitrary.
If we take the view that we are all sinful and God is indeed holy, and hates sin, then I find it hard to accept that such a holy judge would “overlook” sin when judging us.
It is like a murder/criminal being let off because he gives money to charity and is kind to animals. Even if he does many good deeds, the honest Judge will not overlook his crimes. I do not believe sin is cancelled out by good deeds.

So then why does Islam appeal so much? And what about the miracles of the Quran?
I think I mentioned why Islam appeals earlier on in this post. It is in many ways like Judaism – I think it strikes a chord with its focus of piousness and reverent view of God. For many western Christians we see Muslims as maintaining moral standards westerners have lost. The ritual nature of Islam appeals to human nature- it feels tangible. I think as humans we gravitate to habits and rituals too. I mentioned I was drawn to hijab. But I don’t have to be Muslim to cover. Covering has origins much older than Islam. I don’t have to be Muslim to abstain from alcohol or fast. These too have far older origins. For many westerners there is also a strong cultural attraction.
Islam also has a lot of truth in it – I don’t think so many people would follow it if it didn’t. The Quran includes ayat* similar to verses in the Bible, and even hadith* similar to the Talmud. The belief of tawhid*, despite Jesus’ Christianity is still central to all Abrahamic faith: “Shema Yisrael Adonia Eloihenu Adonai Echad*” (Hear Oh Israel the Lord your God is One Lord)

Learning about Islam comes as a shock to many Christians because most western Christians, who know little about Islam, have the general idea of Islam as a blasphemous ungodly religion based on a evil false prophet, whom many also label a paedophile. Haram!

Most people who have really studied Islam will realise this is not the case. I saw that Mohammed was a man who lived a moral life and was not a liar or deceiver. I saw the Quran honoured God in many ways and agreed with the Bible in many ways. I saw that there were ‘signs’ within the Quran which was recited by an illiterate man. These are the things which made me turn to Islam.

I cannot explain everything away. I do not believe Mohammed was a prophet of God but I do not believe he lied and forged a religion. I think he was misled for the Bible tells us Satan can appear like “an angel of light.” I think he honestly believed it was the angel Gabriel who appeared to him, and God revealing the Quran. In regards to the miracles contained in the Quran, the Bible also tells us that it was not only God’s prophets who are able to perform great signs and miracles. The N.T tells us ‘false prohets’ will do great wonders and the magicians in Pharoah’s court were able to do many of the same miracles as Moses. Indeed other religions also contain prophecies and signs within their holy scriptures – in which case if this were the only consideration that would all be proved ‘true.'
This is what I have found, over a period of a year and a half or more. God's promise that if you seek the truth you shall find it proved true. But the secret is to search for the truth without agenda or bias, which is surprisingly hard! Too often we search to validate what we want the truth to be.
I hope noone, whatever religion is offended by this post. It is merely an account of my journery and what I believe to be the truth, but I understand if you disagree, you are perfectly entitled to do so! :)
Even if you disagree, feel free to make your own comments!
peace and blessings!

Salaams (salaam alaykum) = peace by upon you
Subhan’Allah = means God is glorious, but literally means God is void, from the Quranic 'God is void of all evil.'
Mash’Allah = Literally means ‘God has willed it’ and is used to exclaim praise.
Insh’Allah = God willing

Ayat= verses in the Quran
Hadith = sayings of Mohammed
Tawhid = the concept of ‘oneness’ of God – la illaha ilallah (that there is no God but God)
shema = ‘The Shema’ – commandment made in Deut 6:4

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi, what an interesting post. I've been on a similar journey myself, came fairly close to converting to Islam but didn't.

I agreed completely with your paragraph on why Islam appeals so much. I think you said it all!

For me, the main issues were certain parts of the Quran that give Muhammad privileges for reasons that seem completely un-God-like - for example, the bit about the marriage to Zainab. Also I was very uncomfortable with its stance towards unbelievers and especially the violent parts. It feels very divisive to me and doesn't compare with Jesus' teachings on loving your enemies!

I really admire the fact that you sought the truth above all else. As you say, it can be difficult to do because we are pulled in one direction or another by our personal biases. But in the end it is a relief to just be true to yourself, I think.

Do you mind if I link to this post?

misschatterbox said...

Hi Sarah
Yes it seems there are a lot of us! I think a lot of people actualyl do go through with it and convert too.
Islam is also more "an eye for an eye" - I just it didn't match Christ's message in its message for complete love, meekness, peace and forgiveness!
Feel free to link!

Susanne said...

I enjoyed this, Pamela! Thanks so much for sharing your almost conversion story. I was curious about it. So your mom is Indonesian and your dad perhaps German? I bet they were a lovely couple. :) What did your mom think when you called to say you may return as a Muslim? And I'm curious why going to Germany is what almost what drove you to convert. I like reading all the cultural things in your posts. Really loved this. Thank you!

misschatterbox said...

Heya :) My mum is australian, she speaks indonesia but she isn't indo. My dad was born in denmark, raised in germany with a russian mother and australian father - so a mix!
My m,um was understandably upset at the thought of me converting but didn't show it heaps - but of course I knew it would devastate her. She just kept raising issues, or answering question - mostly I just argued with over over email! (as in debated christianity)
I think going to Germany facilitated it because I was removed from friends/family in Australia, so there was noone around with vested interests. Back home I had church and my family, and also multiple Muslim friends - I didn't want to be persuaded by emotional ties. I also didn't want MY spiritual journey to become public gossip (which it would have) - soon my christian friend would be all concerned, my muslim fgriends would be all hopeful and excited. I didnt' want to be affected by peoples hopes and expectations - they would have all had the best intentions but the clamour would have driven me mad!

Being in germany most of my freinds I made there were Muslim. One of my best friends was a russian convert and a really inspiring woman. Also I was studying theology and islamic studies as uni. So i think the culmination of all these things lent to an environment where I could really search.. if that makes sense! :)

caraboska said...

I like to explain the Trinity to people as a matter of God's being so infinite that when He chose to come to earth in human form so that He could die the sinless death necessary for our redemption, He did not thereby cease to exist outside of time and space as well. On the other hand, the limitations of human nature that He voluntarily took on for a time meant that He would find it necessary to maintain that unity with the realm of eternity (outside time-space) via the usual human means - prayer.

This is not so strange if we think about it, because after all, each of us has a physical, temporal element and an eternal element. Some people practice meditation and the like as a way of getting in touch with that, and no doubt Jesus' prayers had that kind of a character.

There are even Muslims who believe that salvation is 100% by grace - so that our deeds do not contribute materially to our salvation. And this view is even supported by the Qur'an - although you have to really look for it to find it.

And there are even Muslims who believe that Jesus died on the cross before being taken up to heaven. The language of the Qur'an itself does leave such a possibility open - it is the interpretations of the hadith which close it off.

The problem is that they do not 'get' redemption. Intercession - even, from the one God has authorized. Although if a Muslim comes to that conclusion and starts praying in Jesus' name... well, I read about such a person once upon a time, and he is unfortunately no longer around to talk about it.

But redemption is another matter. The problem with that is: what about God's justice? What about that fact that the Torah has always taught that there is no remission of sin without the shedding of blood? That was the point of the sacrificial system - a picture of the ultimate reality represented by the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus.

And for that sacrifice to be kosher, it is evident that no mere man could offer it. Back when it was being offered, the Law was in force, so that in principle it was problematic for the sacrificial victim not to chew cud and have split hooves. I don't know too many people who do either of those things, let alone both. I bet Jesus didn't :D So, again, He was no mere man.

And there's a whole slew of properties of God mentioned in the Tanakh as being exclusive to God - which are then applied to Jesus in haBrit haChadashah.

And you rightly point out the prophecies (hundreds of years in advance) as well. That is a major thing that convinces me that haBrit haChadashah and the Bible in general is true. Not to mention its textual integrity, which you have also evidently gone into in some depth.

I love to read testimonies of people who chose a particular religion for themselves - see what kind of person likes what religion, what the motivations were. And I love to talk about the things of God with various people. I understand my own faith better and better as I take part in these exchanges, explaining to them what Christianity teaches in a way they will be able to understand coming from wherever it is they are coming from.

I have even adopted some 'foreign' customs - hijab, prayer times, fasting. I did this to strip my faith of its cultural trappings and get to the heart of the matter - what is really important and what is 'just trappings'. Probably I have stripped it as far as it can be, over a period of years.

One thing that annoys me about Christian testimonies is how much they talk about 'what God did for me' - at the risk of worshiping not God, but His benefits. I have seldom if ever heard anyone ask 'Which religion gives the most honor to God?' and give that question as a motivation for becoming or remaining Christian. It is not easy to ask that question and remain a Christian, but it is more than possible...

caraboska said...

PS Funny you mention being abroad. I've been living abroad for the better part of 20 years, and it has enabled me to take some distance to certain influences that were present in the earlier part of my life.

misschatterbox said...

Caraboska: 'Which religion gives the most honor to God?' : What a great question!

Sadly Christianity is all too often peddled as an instant cure-all! It's all about what God can do for you! It remind's me of J.F Kennedy "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your county." I espcially detest it when so-called evangelists declare to large crowds that everyone will be instantly healed! That faith heals all problems etc. Or that Christianty brings financial security. Arghhhh!!!

Firstly it people are drawn to it for the wrong reasons, secondly their faith fails when God does not uhold his end of the bargain and thirdly Christians who have experience life very differently are out off by these false claims.

We only need open bibles to see this is not the case. Having a relationship with God, through Jesus, and walking beside God opens the door to Him, which is the biggest blessing of all. Following Him we are showered with His love. But following Him we will also expereince doubt, and times of utter desolation. Look at the prophets, at the disciples. The bible promises that we will be persecuted, cut off from family and suffer hardship. Jesus did not heal everyone. There are many faithful Christians who wil; never be healed from their affliction, Joni Earecksons story is a great example.

And though while it is doesn't feel like it at the time - it is through perseuction and hardship we draw closer to God. It is through the fire we emerge stronger.

I read a wonderful wonderful book "Papa Prayer" which talsk about so often prayer is a list of things want done. We wrongly interpret scripture about asking and recieving as gettign anything we want. And when prayer IS answered, we say "We knew Mrs Smith would get better. We prayed for it."
In doing so we make God OUR servant (!!!) and reduce Him from His infinite Might and Glory!
Great comment, you certainly gave me food for thought!

caraboska said...

I got that question from a Muslim's conversion testimony on YouTube. I don't remember his name at the moment, but you may have seen it - it's in 2 or 3 parts, and he's an Aussie all dressed in black but hilariously funny...

It also ties in nicely with a book that second to the Bible has been the greatest single influence on my spiritual life as it is now: 'The Way to Love' (previous editions entitled 'The Call to Love') by Anthony DeMello SJ. I would say that this book has taught me the most about what it means to truly have only one God - in very practical ways that cover all of life.

We have to be careful not to idolize healing. To illustrate the difference in attitudes very practically, I know two people, each of whom at least at one point in their life identified as a Christian, has homosexual desires, and believes that the Bible teaches that sex is for heterosexual marriage only.

The one prayed to God to have these desires removed, in order to be 'normal'. When God did not grant this desire, they indeed got angry and fell away - despite being acquainted with the life and example of the other person...

This other person prayed not to have the desires removed, but to be able to live godly.
They ended up able to live a life of love - treating everyone pretty much the same. Awareness of their desires was something to be grateful for, because it meant being able to make real choices now instead of being surprised later. And when confronted with a young person who was praying for 'normality', they said, 'Why are you settling for "just normal"? What if God wants to give you something even better?'

Or another example: two people who had metastatic cancer. One immediately lost hope, decided that the treatment would just mean suffering, so they refused it and died a few weeks later.

The other put their hope in God and chose life. To the best of my knowledge, they have not been completely healed, although the Lord did favor them with the disappearance of three spots of metastasis to their liver; but they are still alive years later, engaged in creative activity and letting the Lord give them the life of His choosing.

And yet another person I know had what could have been a very scary situation, where they were getting new metastatic tumors every two days and had to wait two weeks for their surgery. And they slept with angelic peace through it all. They accepted the possibility of a shorter-than-usual lifespan from the beginning, did what they could to preserve their health, and trusted in God for the stuff that was not under their direct control.

And this is just it: sometimes God allows complete healing to happen, sometimes God allows the disease to remain, even for the rest of the person's lifetime. And we have to come to a point where we are not attached to any particular outcome. Where it will not be any kind of crisis in faith if the disease does not disappear, because we trust in God regardless.

And God knows all things: He knows whether we really are idolizing a particular outcome in our hearts or not, or whether we are truly accepting whatever He gives us and trusting in Him regardless. So that we can say we do this all we like, but He knows the truth.

At any rate, in the case of this third person, the disease has been eradicated and there has been no evidence of it for over 8 years. She has lived to be writing these words to you now, and God willing will write many more words in her lifetime to proclaim the glory of the One and Only God.

misschatterbox said...

wow what an amazing story! May God bless you for your faith sister.
When Jesus prayed in gesthemene he asked if the cup could be taken away if there was any other way, but only if it was God's will. While it may not be easy, we can never go wrong if we submit to, and pray for God's will! :)

Susanne said...

Pamela, thanks for answering my questions, and, yes, that did make sense! I enjoyed learning these things about you. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Talk to you soon! :)

LK said...

Inspiring story! I agree with some of it, disagree with other parts. Often, the more popular interpretation in Islam is not always the most correct. And their are differences of opinion on a variety of subjects, like the crucifixion. The Qur'an is horribly complicated O_O

But to be honest that doesn't matter: God lead you to what is best for you. Only He knows what is best and you are happier for it! There is no overall right answer, only that answer which is right for you. YAY thank God you found it!

Lucy said...

I was the same too!In the end I choose Christianity in the form of Anabaptism.

misschatterbox said...

LK: Thanks for the comment, it's fine that we don't all agree 100% it's what inspires sharing, conversation, and learning!

I found your comment that there is no "overall right answer" interesting. Do I take it you don't beleive in absolute truth? I do, which is why I trusted in God to lead me to it :) If there is no "right answer" then everything is right, and nothing is wrong. In which case we can choose to follow hinduism, islam, buddishm, christianity or even nothing at all. It is very popular among agnostics to say we should follow what's best for us. But it sounds to me like an excuse to do whatever we want to do! And a cop-out for following God and really searching for the truth. If there is no absolute truth - there is no truth at all: because the concept of truth is that something is "right" and something is "wrong." For example Jesus either was or wasn't crucified to pay the price of human sin.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts! :)
peace and blessings, Pamela

Lucy: I've heard a bit about anabaptism but I don't really know much! Many of the covering christian sisters are nazarite?/anabaptist/plain/amish etc but to be honest I know little about any of those! I don't think we even have any congregations/churches in those denominations in Perth (australia) - I tried looking them up but I don't think we have them here. Which also means there are not many covering christians here :(
I personally am non-denominational, i guess i'm "protestant" in a loose sense, I currently attend an anglican church but i don't consider myself exclusively anglican :)
I'd love to hear about anabasptism if you have a 'mo! peace and blessings

Lucy said...

Hi misschatterbox,

Anabaptism emerged around the same time as Protestantism and so Anabaptists are often mistakenly believed to be Protestant.Anabaptists believe in adult baptism, the headcovering, non-conformity with the world, plain dress, plain living, the seperation between the church and state, non-resistance and not swearing oaths. Various Anabaptists include the Hutterites, the Mennonites, the Amish, the Old German Baptist Brethren and the River Brethren.

There are a few Anabaptists in Australia-

http://www.australianchristianbrotherhood.org/

http://thecommonlife.com/

http://www.australia.anabaptistmennonites.org/