Monday, May 31, 2010

Coverings Part 2: Rectangle Scarves






















To be honest I find rectangle scarves the easiest to wrap in a hijab style, and the most comfortable. However if you are a non-muslim trying to identity with hijab as little as possible, the rectangle scarf may be worn in a classic way, similar to the square scarf in the previous post. From Angelina Jolie to Condolezza Rice, the rectangle scarf draped loosely over the head, with one end, or both tossed casually over the shoulder is both chic and casual. If you want something more secure, draw the ends tighter or knot them either in the front or the back.
These styles only work for lightweight, silky and gauzy scarves. The warmer or thicker ones, such as pashminas are better for hijab, however the black and white photos show a pashmina-like scarf worn around the head, as is my picture with the grey pashmina.


There are a million ways to wear rectangle scarves as hijab, so I won’t go into that – personally I never use pins and go with a no-fuss style, but that's just me - if you want to look at different styles of hijab there are many many sites exploring different styles! Go crazy! :)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

These are so pretty. I especially like the white one with sequins!

misschatterbox said...

yes! That is one of my favourites, I bought it in Oman. Normally the word 'sequin' would make me run for cover, but the way the scarf is designed is tasteful and pretty.

Unknown said...

I am so excited to read about you, that you are a christian and you cover. I am the only one here. It is encouraging so much. am from germany