Monday, June 21, 2010

Anonymity: Followers/regulars Please Read!!

After my own concerns and a very thoughtful email from another blogger I have made some changes to my blog - you will see my profile is changed somewhat and I have deleted any references to my name and town. This includes comments, so please don't feel offended if you see I have deleted your comments.

For those of you who know my name, city and other details - please don't publish these. Don't even acknowledge if you are aware of these details as I wouldn't want you to draw undue scrutiny.

The reason for all this are my recent posts on converts, including my husband-to-be (S.) who left Islam and became Christian. He is from the (arabian) gulf. In his country it is illegal to leave Islam (apostasy.) Close friends would most likely be able to identify me from my blog but we do not plan to hide his faith from our friends/family. At the end of the day it will eventually get out (he is telling his family in the next week or so) - unless we completely live a lie and hide hos faith our whole lives then the people we know will be aware of it. It one of those people decides to inform the government then there is not much we can do. It is a reality of the gulf, and almost all apostates/converts seek asylum in the West. In some cases they later return and live in the gulf nation on a western passport.
Gulf passports can only be held by Muslims and citizenship will be withdrawn if authorities discover that the person has left Islam.
We dont think anyone of his family/friends from his home nation will turn him in but we can't be sure. And these things have a habit of spreading fast.

For now we are biding our time -but at the end of the day if someone is determined to discover my identity (and his) from this blog and deliberately inform authorities, well, it merely a process of speeding up the inevitable!

I would like to add, for the benefit of such readers:
This blog is NOT designed as a tool of evangelism/da3wa/conversion. It is my account of my own personal feelings and opinions. I have a high regard and respect for Islam and Christianity and their followers. This blog is not designed to criticise or denegrate Islam, Christianity or ANY religion or ANY nation. It is merely a forum for discussion.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

It's sad that people have to go to such extremes due to intolerant people in the world. :(

I suspected something like this was coming for your blog.

Best wishes, MCB! :-)

LK said...

I'm praying it all works out for you and S. How crazy! Illegal to be a different religion... I can't even wrap my head around that.